Jim Fairweatheron December 18, 2016
1943 Sterling/Cardox USA Class 150 crash truck, in its as-built configuration, 6000# CO2/500gl pre-mix foam. The Jeep is a 1961 CJ-3B/Ansul J2-340 300# dry chem unit, purpose built new, not surplus.
Gueston February 18, 2008
Photo is from 1962 at the then-brand new CFD O'Hare firehouse (Combination 10).
In the foreground is "Jeep Chemical No. 1," one of several WWII vintage military-surplus jeeps acquired by Chicago Civil Defense Fire & Rescue circa 1960 (which is why its livery is CD blue & white).
Parked next to the Jeep is the original "Big Mo," Cardox crash truck 6-5-2 (1943 Sterling). An ex- WWII military crash truck, this rig was purchased off a used car lot and converted by the CFD Shops from a liquid foam crash truck to a Cardox (carbon-dioxide) unit in 1956. It was equipped with 6000 lbs of cardon-dioxide and 500 lbs of liquid foam, and replaced a smaller crash rig (also known as 6-5-2) that had been hurriedly leased from Cardox when O'Hare International Airport opened for commercial airline travel in October 1955.
The airport was located at the site of a pre-WWII suburban village called "Orchard Place," and was it was also the site of a former Douglas Aircraft plant that manufactured C-54 military transports during WWII. O'Hare Field's three-letter designation is "ORD" (for Orchard-Douglas).
Although O'Hare Field was located in an unincorprated area outside Chicago city limits when it first opened in 1955, the CFD was required to provide fire protection & civilian airport crash rescue services at O'Hare because the airport was owned and operated by the City of Chicago. (The city annexed O'Hare Field in1956). The Chicago Fire Department also provided contracted fire protection to the Douglas Aircraft plant at Orchard Place during WWII.
The USAF/Illinois Air National Guard also operated an aircraft crash rescue station at O'Hare ("military side"), and the CFD and USAF/ANG crews and apparatus were quartered together in the same facility (USAF Building #6) until the new CFD firehouse opened in May 1962.